Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Getting To Know You (Part I)

In hopes of providing a little more insight on what Food Creates Community is all about, this is the first part of a three-part series on the cooks behind the concept. Each of the cooks completed a little questionnaire to reveal some of their innermost food thoughts and desires.


Our first Q&A is with Jordan Swim, the creator and visionary behind Food Creates Community and owner of Vestals Foods:


How long have you been cooking?
Seriously - since I was in high school, but I always remember my mom entertaining when I was younger, and I would help her with the parties and putting the food together.

When did you discover your love for cooking?
I remember eating at wonderful restaurants on summer trips in New England. I began to realize that I could put ingredients together to create wonderful flavors and tastes.

What would you say your cooking style is?
Comfort American with Southern European influence.

Who/what is the biggest influence on your cooking?
Alice Waters is someone who inspires me to connect my food with something beyond taste. My wife is my toughest critic and pushes me to create nourishing and unique tastes for our family every night.

What are the three must-haves in your pantry or refrigerator?
Kosher Salt, Orange Juice, Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Describe your ideal meal.
Family, Friends, under the stars, slight breeze, nice wine, great bread, grilled and well-seasoned meat, flavorful cheese, warm dessert with gelato and an espresso.

Where do you see the future of cooking/food heading?
There is a resurgence of people wanting "simple foods and authentice taste." In this, we must look at the nutrition of our nation and how we are promoting life-long nourishment for all people. As culinarians, we must make food that educates and inspires!

1 comment:

  1. jordan - check it out:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeFPRD_QWzA

    ReplyDelete